Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Notice of marriage

Before you marry at a civil ceremony, or at a religious building (other than a Church of England where you may have banns called) you must give notice of your intention to marry at least 28 full days before your ceremony.

Essex residents

You can book an appointment to give your notice in one of our main registration offices. Each of you must have lived in Essex for at least seven whole days immediately before giving a notice of intention to marry.

Residents of Southend, Thurrock or a London Borough cannot give notice at an Essex registration office.    If you’re not sure which Registration office to contact, enter your postcode into find your local council.   

The prescribed list of evidence gives the documents needed for your notice of marriage appointment.

Please ensure you have booked your registrar before booking your notice of marriage appointment.



We are experiencing technical difficulties with card payments at some registration locations.    Please be aware you may be required  to pay by cash or cheque.

Foreign nationals

If you and your partner are subject to immigration control and would like to get married in the UK, you will need to apply for the appropriate Marriage Visitor visa. The waiting period of 28 days may be extended to 70 days if your notices of marriage have to be referred to the Home Office for approval.

The statutory fee of £35 per person may also be increased to £47 per person if that referral is needed.

If you have all the documents needed to give notice of marriage, you can make an appointment at our designated registration office in Chelmsford.  Please e-mail

Ceremony Planners

Whether your ceremony takes place in the Register Office or an Approved Venue, we will send a ceremony planner to you, following giving notice of marriage.  This will help us ensure your ceremony is all that you have dreamed.