Welcome to the School Organisation and Planning service. We provide advice on the provision of school places. The service is responsible for ensuring there are sufficient school places available, and that these are appropriate for the ages of the children requiring such provision.
Within our pages you will find information on the Commissioning School Places document (formerly the Essex School Organisation plan), consultations, statutory proposals, decisions made on school consultations and developer contributions.
- Preparation of an annual Commissioning School Places document. The document sets out the requirement for places in maintained primary and secondary schools over a five year period, and identifies the areas where providers will need to match supply with demand.
- The provision of annual forecasts of pupil numbers to schools
- Undertaking consultations and the publication of statutory public notices regarding the addition or removal of school places
- Liaison with planning authorities regarding proposed new housing developments, and negotiation with developers in line with the adopted developer contribution guidelines to contribute towards meeting the cost of providing additional school places
- Liaison with the Diocesan authorities and other relevant bodies
- Working with the Capital programme and building development service on the development, establishment and financing of new and existing schools.
The Department for Education publishes regular updates of schools that have applied to become academies. We have prepared a list of schools in Essex which are affected.