Social inclusion is at the heart of Castle View School's design. It has an airy, triple-height atrium as well as a café where pupils and staff can receive podcasts on their mobile devices via an online Learning Platform.
The school is designated a Specialist Science College and includes ‘super labs’ to encourage new ways of learning and approaches to the science curriculum.
The college also has a ‘Science Forum’, a learning zone that promotes group lessons and debates.
Externally, the school benefits from an ecological garden and sporting facilities.
- Site area: 72,000 m2
- Floor area: 17,000m2
- Number of students: 1,200
- Age of students: 11-16
- Start date: June 2010
- Completion date: May 2012
- Building design: Nicholas Hare Architects
- Structural design: Arup
- Services design: Skanska Rashleigh Weatherfoil / HBS
- Landscape design: Macgregor Smith
- ICT design: Skanska RM
- Construction: Skanska Construction