Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

You are currently in: Pupil and parent support

Children in entertainment

13 April 2017

All children who perform on stage or in television, such as in films and commercials, or who work in paid or professional sport or modelling must have a licence.  Here you can find information on how to apply for a licence, the approval criteria and what we mean by performance


If children are to take part in any of the above activities, the legislation requires them to be licensed by the local authority (LA) in which they live. This includes babies and children up to the compulsory school age. These children have their welfare and safety protected by the following legislation:


  • The Children and Young Persons Act 1933
  • The Children and Young Persons Act 1963
  • The Children (Performance and Activities) (England) 2014
  • The Children (Protection at Work) Regulations 1998


The LA for Essex is Essex County Council.  If a child lives in a London borough or a unitary authority but has an Essex postal address, then their LA will be the authority in which they live. For example:


  • Southend, Essex will be Southend Unitary Authority
  • Thurrock, Essex will be Thurrock Unitary Authority
  • Romford, Essex will be London Borough of Havering
  • Dagenham, Essex will be London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
  • Ilford, Essex will be London Borough of Redbridge


How to apply for a licence

An application for a licence must be on a standard application form with the completed school permission form.
It is a legal requirement that the licence applicant is the person responsible for the production in which the child is to take part. This does not include those who provide children for a production, such as the proprietor of a drama, dance school or an agent.


When applying for a licence please:


  • provide a photocopy of the child's birth certificate or passport
  • provide two recent (within six months) identical passport size photographs of the child with their name written on the back
  • ensure the school completes the form giving permission for any absences from school
  • ensure all parts of the licence application are completed including parental declaration.

The legislation allows a licensing authority 21 days from the receipt of all of the above documents to issue an individual entertainment licence. 


Approval criteria

The licensing authority when considering a licence application must be satisfied that:


  • the child’s formal education will not be affected
  • the child’s health will not suffer
  • the venue where the performance or rehearsal takes place is suitable
  • all of the conditions of the licence will be maintained.



A performance is where a child takes part in a theatre production, commercial or TV/film production and:


  • a charge is made (even if there is no admission fee for the audience/spectators)
  •  the performance takes place on licensed premises or in a licensed club
  • the performance is to be broadcast to the public
  • the performance is being recorded for public viewing
  • an activity is directed in any way that it may be reviewed and converted into a performance.


A child does not need an individual performance licence if they (a) perform for only four days in any six-month period, and they do not need to be absent from school to undertake the performance,  in which case they may be covered by a non licence performance exemption or (b) they are covered by a body of persons approval, documents below must be completed for this:



or (c) they take part in their full-time school performance (this is the educational school not a school of dance)

Chaperones and supervision

All children must be supervised when performing. This can be undertaken by their own parents  or alternatively the production company must provide a registered chaperone.

Chaperones are licensed by the LA in which they live. Their role is to ensure that the welfare of the child is paramount when on location and to supervise the child at all times.

The chaperone application  and DBS consent forms are available below:



The instructions for completion and process can be found below:


Should you require any assistance with this process contact or telephone 0333 0138 967.

A comprehensive guide to child performance licensing has been produced by the National Network for Children in Employment and Entertainment (NNCEE).