Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

You are currently in: Planning


3 November 2016


An architect drawing plans

Essex County Council is responsible for planning issues relating to strategic planning, mineral and waste planning and land and buildings owned by the council. Planning queries relating to residential and business needs are managed by local district and borough council planning departments.  
Minerals and waste planning focuses on planning issues relating to waste disposal and mineral extraction sites across the county. The team is also responsible for planning issues relating to land and properties owned by Essex County Council.
Responsibility for the following areas does not fall to the Essex County Council Planning Department, and enquiries should be addressed to the contact supplied. 

School planning

Enquiries relating to the planning and development of new and existing schools, and the consultation processes involved, should be addressed to the School Organisation and Planning team.


Highways and transportation development management

Enquiries relating to highways and road planning that are not the responsibility of Essex County Council should be addressed to the appropriate highways area office.

Planning applications for Southend and Thurrock

All planning applications within the Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock unitary authority areas should be addressed to the relevant unitary authority.


Private land for sale or lease


All enquiries relating to the sale and lease of private land should be addressed to the local district or borough council.




All planning applications are monitored by the council for their likely impact on archaeological remains. Where development may impact a scheduled ancient monument, contact English Heritage for advice.

Country Parks


For all information about Country Parks in Essex, visit the Country Parks website.

Listed Buildings

Consent to alter, extend or demolish a listed building must be obtained from your local district or borough council. To find out if a building is listed, contact English Heritage.

Urban Design and Regeneration

For information on urban design and regeneration in Essex, visit the Essex Design Initiative website.


All work relating to fly-tipping is carried out at district and borough level.
For any other enquiries relating to planning issues, contact the Essex County Council contact centre directly.