The Development Management team at Essex County Council acts as the Statutory Consultee for all planning applications that affect the highway network. We are responsible for protecting the safety and efficiency of the highway network by ensuring that proposals for development:
- are accessible by means of transport other than the private car
- are designed to the correct standards
- have their impact on the highway network mitigated appropriately.
The Development Management team is involved in the following areas:
- flood water management
- placing, shaping and improving the quality of the living environment
- design and build of roads serving residential and mixed use developments
- promotion of a safe and pleasant environment for Essex residents.
The Development Management team works closely with developers to ensure that all required standards are met. Often this involves personal contact, but the following resources are available online for reference and use.
Documents relating to different aspects of highways development.
Area office teams