Update Friday 1 February
An Essex County Council spokesperson said:
“The Sadlers Farm Junction Improvement Scheme is now fully operational. Remaining works on the network will be completed as soon as possible, with work taking place off-peak and overnight to minimise disruption.
"Targeted work will also take place in the coming months adjacent to the network, for example landscaping and planting, completion of works to subways, and accommodations works to adjacent landowners. These works will have little or no disruption to motorists."
Planned restrictions for Friday 5 April 2013 (Night time closures 21:00 to 05:00)
A13 Eastbound closed from Pitsea to Sadlers diverted up London Rd
Strategic link closed
Rayleigh Spur roundabout exit to A130 closed, diverted down the A1245 and back onto the A130 via the dedicated on slip
For further information please call 01268 726 796 between 8.30am and 5.30pm.
The A13/A130 Sadlers Farm junction forms part of the strategic highway network serving Thames Gateway South Essex. The existing junction comprises a series of five small roundabouts within a gyratory system and has historically been subject to severe congestion and delays.
The scheme is an essential element of the long- term strategy for Basildon and the Thames Gateway contributing to targets for the area relating to congestion, accessibility, safety, air quality and enhanced maintenance. This is achieved through the main objective of the scheme which is to reduce congestion on the strategic network.
The objective noted above will be delivered by the construction of a strategic link road removing 30% of the existing traffic complimented by signalisation of the existing gyratory, widening of the A13 and the introduction of a dedicated turning from the A13 onto Canvey Island.
Summary of the scheme:
- The creation of a dual (two-lane) carriageway link road connecting the A13 west and the A130 north. This new road will be set in a full depth cutting passing beneath London Road (B1464) and heading to Rayleigh Spur to the north east.
- Widening of the A13 between Sadlers Farm Junction and Pitsea (dual two lanes to dual four lanes).
- Widening of the A130 north between the Sadlers Farm junction and Rayliegh Spur roundabout (dual three-lane).
- Widening of the A13 (London Road) from Sadlers Farm to Tarpots junction to enable the provision of four full-width lanes.
- Signalisation of Tarpots Junction.
- Public Realm works at Tarpots junction.
- Construction of four new bridges at Church Road, Sadlers Farm, London Road and Sadlers Hall to the north of London Road.
- Additional works include the extensions to existing subways, lighting, bus priority provision and improvements to cycling and pedestrian routes.
County Councillor Derrick Louis, Cabinet Member for Highways & Transportation said: "I recognise that this completion date is later than residents and businesses would prefer but in considering a number of options we have weighed up the absolute need to minimise disruption over achieving an earlier date.
"I would like to thank local residents and businesses for their continued patience while these works are taking place and apologise for this project taking longer to finish than we have all hoped for."