Services for children with disabilities in Essex are provided by teams that give support, advice and information to families, carers and other professionals who are involved in caring for children whose disability has a significant impact on their day-to-day lives.
For children and young people with disabilities and their families who want to take short breaks, Aiming High for Disabled Children provides the chance to enjoy, achieve and participate in a wide range of activities.
We are committed to the rights of these children to fulfil their personal potential, ambition and roles in society. Our main work is with children who have severe learning and/or physical disabilities, children within the autistic spectrum, children with particular mental health difficulties and children who have sensory impairment.
The teams provide a range of services including
- family support work, with assessments completed jointly by our teams and ongoing support provided to families where necessary
- helping young people with the transition into adulthood
- personal care and behavioural support through our Family Care Work teams for families experiencing difficulties managing their child's care and behaviour in the home
- short breaks for parents and carers of a disabled child at home or in a different setting
- direct payments to parents, carers or disabled young people over 16 years old to purchase short break services for themselves
- individual budgets for children and young people, as part of a pilot scheme rolled out by ten local authorities
- short break residential provision for children and young people with complex care and behavioural needs
- Aiming High community-based additional short breaks for disabled children or their brothers and sisters
- child protection and support for disabled children and young people.
If you feel you need our support, we will need to complete an assessment. A duty social worker will then visit you and your family or parents in your home to find out how they can help.
For more information or to make a referral, please contact us.
Tel: 0845 603 7627