Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
One-off cash payment
A one-off cash payment is a lump sum paid to you for an agreed purpose by your social worker.
This must be used within 12 months and evidence of expenditure must be provided to us within this period. At the end of the 12 months, any unspent funds must be returned to Essex County Council. 
Cash payments from Essex County Council will not affect your benefits because they're not classified as income.

Receiving your payment

When you receive your payment an information pack will be sent to you. This will include a return form that must be completed and returned to us with the receipts / invoices to prove the expenditure of the funds. These can either be posted to us or emailed to

If you email them please ensure all receipts/invoices are attached. It is within the terms and conditions of the cash payment that evidence of expenditure is sent to the Direct Payments Team for audit purposes. If you misuse your one-off cash payment, we may ask you to pay back the money.
If you need to return any surplus money to Essex County Council before the end of the 12-month period, please send in your final return form and attach a cheque made payable to ‘Essex County Council’ for the balance.
For help with completing the return, see the information pack which includes an example of a completed form.

If you have any further questions, please contact us. We do not make home visits to help with the completion of the forms. Extra return forms can be printed, but please contact us if you'd like the forms posted  to you.


One-off cash payments are not automatically renewed after all of the money is used. Contact social services if you would like to enquire about receiving another payment. Your social care worker will review your needs.