You can also find information on access for people with disabilities and archive access points.
The Essex Record Office is open during the following hours:
- Monday: 9am-8.30pm
- Tuesday-Thursday: 9am-5pm
- Friday-Saturday: 9am-4pm
The Essex Record Office is closed on Sundays. In addition, the Searchroom is closed on the following days in 2013:
- Easter: Friday 29 March, Saturday 30 March, Monday 1 April
- May Day: Monday 6 May
- Spring Bank Holiday: Monday 27 May
- August Bank Holiday: Monday 26 August
- Stocktaking: Monday 25 November – Saturday 7 December, inclusive
- Christmas: Tuesday 24 December early closing at 1pm; Wednesday 25 December - Saturday 28 December, inclusive
- Early closing: Monday 30 December, 5pm
- New Year: Wednesday 1 January 2014
We are located on Wharf Road, Chelmsford, CM2 6YT.
The entrance to the building faces the River Chelmer. Visitors should report to reception, which is located to the right of the entrance. All visitors are required to hold a County Archive Research Network (CARN) reader ticket. A valid CARN ticket issued by another office is acceptable. If you do not possess a CARN ticket, one will be issued at reception, free of charge, providing you have the required documentation.
To issue a CARN ticket, we require proof of your identity that shows name, address and signature. A driving licence is ideal, but a combination of documents (such as passport and utility bill) is also acceptable. Once inside the record office, you will need to be in possession of your CARN ticket at all times. Staff will ask to see it before you are able to enter or leave the Searchroom.
The ground floor also contains vending machines and a seating area where lunches can be eaten. Toilets are located on the ground floor, just behind the seating area.