If you’re thinking about setting up your own enterprise, or are already in business, the Essex Libraries Business Information Service can provide you with access to reliable and up-to-date information to support your decisions.
Whether you want to speak to trained staff to find the information you need, or prefer to research your business requirements using our online resources, we can help.
Useful free online information
The Essex Libraries Business Information Service subscribes to a variety of information sources library members can use in the library or, in some cases, from their own computer.
Business information sources you can use from your own computer or in any library:
- Kompass – a worldwide business directory for suppliers, manufacturers and distributors
- British Standards – current and historical British Standards to maintain best practice and ensure legal compliance
- COBRA – business opportunity profiles, information factsheets, market research and local area profiles.
- NEWSBANK– a comprehensive collection of over 70 local, national and international newspapers, including the Financial Times
Additional sources you can use in any library
- Keynote Market Reports – Over 1,000 market analysis reports encompassing every major industry, plus information on over seven million UK companies
- MarketLine ADVANTAGE – comprehensive business information source for enterprise, students and researchers, with information on 30,000+ companies, 3,500+ industries, and 110+ countries
To use these resources, you can book a session on a library computer or by telephone on 0845 603 7628.
Alternatively, you can ask us to find the information you want; call us on 01245 492535 or email your enquiry to Business.Information@essex.gov.uk.
Getting started in business
We can help you find out about hundreds of business opportunities, including market potential and how to get started. If you already have a particular idea, our trained staff can help you get the information you need.
With this you can assess the viability of your ideas, get guidance through the process of starting up and tackle all the practicalities of finance, employing staff, marketing, tax and everything else involved in running your business.
Helping your business to grow
If you are already in business, we can provide free company credit checks, detailed company reports and market research, saving you time and money.
Call us on 01245 492535 or email your enquiry to Business.Information@essex.gov.uk to get the help you need.
Training for you and your staff at reasonable prices
eCourses provide instant access to online training. As an approved eCourses reseller we can provide the full portfolio of over 300 online courses, covering ICT, business skills, management and leadership, health and safety, and accounts. eCourses are specifically designed for self-study and are ideal for people looking for a flexible and cost-effective training solution.
View the catalogue
of what is available then call our Learning Centre on 01245 436566 for current prices and to order.
Help with your business tax matters
HM Revenue & Customs offers a range of free services to help you understand your responsibilities and give you the confidence to get it right, first time. This might be especially useful for the newly self-employed and new employers.
A range of free workshops and seminars
are held covering subjects such as Income Tax, National Insurance, PAYE, Self Assessment, VAT and International Trade.