Essex Libraries works with a number of suppliers to offer a varied selection of e-books and e-audio for you to download free of charge to your e-reader or other digital device, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
E-books are convenient, easy to carry and ideal if you are commuting or going on holiday, or just want to read slightly larger print. If you want to listen to a book whilst you are driving, at the gym, out walking, or just doing the housework, why not try an e-audio title?
You can either search our catalogue by title or author and you will automatically find all the formats available (book, e-book, e-audiobook etc.) or if you know the format you want you can go straight to a specific supplier by using one of the links below.
You might find it helpful to have a look at this useful information
for each supplier before using the service.
Please be aware the Amazon Kindle operates a closed digital rights management system and we are unable to purchase e-books in the Kindle format. At the present time it is only possible to download books to your Kindle from Amazon.
To login to these services you will need your library card membership number.
- Overdrive offers fiction and information books in e-book and e-audio
- Public Library Online has e-books for adults, teenagers and children, as well as a selection of titles for Reading Groups (which include reading guides)
- Ebrary provides factual information which is useful for research and study, and can be accessed via the general library catalogue
- OneClickdigital offers popular fiction and information books in e-audio
- Bolinda offers fiction for adults, young adults and older children, and some information books for adults, in e-audio.