Skip to navigation Skip to main content

You are currently in: News and Events


Applying for Concessionary Fares

5 September 2012

Essex residents who are applying for an older persons or disabled persons bus pass for the first time, need to apply to Essex County Council. Residents can apply by;

- Downloading an application from
- Collecting an application form from their local libraries
- Calling 0845 200 0388 for an application form or for assistance completing one.

Current pass holders who have passes due for  renewal will be automatically sent replacements, rather than having to reapply. However, if pass holders have moved since their current pass was issued they should contact ECC on or by calling 0845 200 0388.

Bus passes can be used within Essex from 9am to midnight Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays. Pass holders with severe disabilities are also entitled to a companion pass, allowing free travel on registered local bus services within Essex for one extra person accompanying them.

The move to a centralised system will save £900,000 over 30 months (from October 2012).

County Councillor Derrick Louis, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation said: “We’ve been working closely with District and Borough and City Councils to ensure that a centralised system will deliver an improved and consistent service across the county, as well as providing customers with more support to complete applications.”