Essex residents will continue to benefit from improvements to Essex County Council’s Customer Services as part of a programme introduced in 2012 to make it easier for residents to find the information they need, whether it’s through www.essex.gov.uk or the award winning Customer Service Centre.
Over the past year, improvements to the website have seen 1.4m visitors benefit from the ability to book, report and pay for more services online, fitting in with their busy lifestyles and enabling Essex County Council to deliver services more efficiently.
- www.essex.gov.uk/schools - providing greater online functionality such as the catchment area search for school admissions and the ability to apply online for free school meals and school transport
- www.essex.gov.uk/adultlearning - an improved way to search and book courses
- www.essex.gov.uk/highways - a quicker and more efficient way to report highway defects
- www.essex.gov.uk/fis - the ability to search for childcare providers across Essex
- Plus an online appointment booking service for birth and death registrations enabling customers to book their appointment with a Registrar any time of the day.
- In addition, the call centre has been upgraded and its capacity increased to ensure that as many calls as possible can be resolved at the first point of contact. During 2012, there were more than 650,000 calls to the Customer Service Centre.
During 2013/14 improvements will continue to a number of online services and residents will be able to apply for blue disabled parking badges online as well as refer themselves or a relative for a social care assessment.
Councillor Jeremy Lucas, Cabinet Member for Customer Service, Environment and Culture, said: “The improvements to customer service are focused on using channels that fit residents' busy lifestyles, rather than what the council has traditionally delivered. Residents are already benefiting from faster, better and easily accessible services and we will continue to work to improve the variety of ways residents can access information and services.”