Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Councillors

How to complain about a councillor's conduct

6 January 2017

The rules which apply to the conduct of elected councillors of Essex County Council are set out in the Code of Conduct for Members, which can be found in part 24 of the county council’s constitution.


If you feel that an Essex County Councillor has broken the code and you wish to make a complaint you can contact Essex County Council’s Monitoring Officer by completing the Essex County Council Code of Conduct for Members complaints form and emailing it to:


Or by post to:  


Monitoring Officer

County Hall

Market Road





The Monitoring Officer will usually decide whether or not to the complaint should be investigated but this decision may be referred to the Standards Committee to decide whether a complaint should be investigated.


The matter will be dealt with in accordance with the council’s procedure for considering complaints.


The Standards Committee has the power to apply a limited range of sanctions if it finds that a councillor has broken the Code of Conduct for Members but it does not have the power to suspend a councillor or remove them from office. 


Please contact the monitoring officer at the above address if you would like advice on making a complaint.


Please note that complaints about the Code of Conduct can only be considered if they relate to the conduct of elected councillors of Essex County Council acting in that capacity.


Complaints about county council services should be referred via our complaints page


Complaints about district or parish councillors should be referred to the relevant district council.