Margaret re-joined Essex County Council in 1990 following five years’ maternity leave. She is currently the Executive Director for Corporate and Customer Services and has responsibility for:
- Finance and Procurement Services
- Business Operations (including business support)
- Law and Assurance
- Essex Pension Fund
- Customer and Technology Operations.
While the vast majority of her career has been at Essex County Council, she has held many varied roles during that time, including leading the implementation of a new General Ledger and related finance systems, was Head of Finance for Social Services before moving to corporate finance roles, becoming the statutory Chief Financial Officer (S151) in 2007, and an Executive Director in 2010. She also holds the position of S151 of the South East Local Economic Partnership (SELEP) and the Essex Pension Fund.
Margaret is a past President of the national Society of County Treasurers (SCT), is an SCT core advisor to the Local Government Association (LGA) and also sits on various national Local Government working groups, most recently the Steering Board for the Business Rates Reform work which sees 100 per cent of business rates transferred to local government in 2020. More locally, she is a member of the Improvement East Finance Directors group and the Essex Finance Officers Association.
Over the past few years, her teams have enjoyed significant success through winning:
- Local Government Chronicle Award for Corporate Governance
- Municipal Journal award for Innovative Finance
- Public Private Partnership award for Property and Facilities Management (with Mitie)
- Local Government Chronicle Investment Awards for Pension Fund of the Year