Nicola Beach rejoined Essex County Council in July 2017 and, as Executive Director, Infrastructure and Environment, has an ambitious agenda for sustainable growth - Essex will need world-class transport infrastructure and effective waste services, which meet the needs of a growing population.
Her function includes:
- Highways and Transportation
- Waste and Environment
- Housing and Property
- Capital Delivery.
Before rejoining the council, Nicola was Chief Executive of Braintree District Council, a position she held since January 2013. Here her key achievements included:
- Leading a corporate improvement programme to reduce operating costs by £5 million through smarter working, generating new income and new investments, improving frontline services
- Using the council’s New Homes Bonus for growth and infrastructure investment in the district, attracting match funding
- Overseeing an investment strategy of £28 million to secure revenue return and deliver better outcomes for the district
- Ensuring a positive organisational culture with high staff satisfaction rates and where talent is developed
- High customer satisfaction maintained for services and value for money; customer service excellence standard consistently achieved
- Chairman of the Essex Chief Executives group, leading on strategic collaboration and devolution
- Chairman of the Safer Essex partnership from 2013 to 2017.
Prior to this, Nicola was Corporate Director and Deputy Chief Executive at Braintree District Council where she successfully commissioned a new leisure contract, saving the council £1 million a year and delivering better health outcomes. She also oversaw building a £10 million new leisure centre within agreed timetable and budget.
Between 2004 and 2010 Nicola was Head of Waste and Recycling and then Assistant Director, Environmental Operations at Essex County Council.
Key Achievements here included securing planning permission for a new waste facility site and making significant savings targets, achieved through successful procurement.
Other roles have included Head of Waste Management, Cambridgeshire County Council; Waste Strategy Manager, Essex County Council; Waste Reduction Manager, Essex County Council; Environmental Co-ordinator, South Norfolk Council and Recycling Officer, South Norfolk Council.
Nicola is joint chairman of the East of England branch of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives and Senior Managers (Solace).