Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Marriage and Civil Partnership

Licensing your venue

7 August 2017


Licensing your venue

If you have a venue that you think would be a perfect location to hold civil weddings and civil partnerships, you need to apply to Essex County Council for a licence.
To be licensed, a ceremony venue must be a dignified and appropriate place where couples can celebrate an important event in their lives. The venue needs to be a permanent structure but it can be a gazebo or summerhouse. The venue does not have to offer reception facilities, as some venues concentrate on ceremonies only.
A licence lasts for three years. 

How to apply for or renew a licence

Applying for or renewing a licence is very straightforward. It is a good idea to read the guidance notes on the requirements before an approval can be granted. 
The fee to apply for a licence is £1,750. You can pay this online when you make your application, or you can download the application form and send it, with a cheque made payable to Essex County Council, to:
Essex Registration Service
A Block, Ground Floor
PO Box 11
County Hall
Essex, CM1 1LX
If an approval is not granted, the fee is not refunded.
Details of how to renew a licence are provided in the guidance notes.