Essex County Council is looking to increase the amount of Independent Living housing available to residents.
Based on the extra care model, Independent Living is self-contained housing that enables people to retain their independence, in a home of their own, for as long as possible with 24 hour care and support on site. It is designed to benefit:
- People aged 55+ who have a care need
- People with specialist needs.
Creating more Independent Living housing for Essex residents will:
- Provide a wider choice of specialist housing options
- Improve health and well-being outcomes
- Decrease reliance on other kinds of intensive accommodation and social care support.
The Independent Living programme will create 1,800 new Independent Living housing units in Essex by 2022.
Capital grant funding
In July 2015, to meet growing demand, Essex County Council approved a strategy to invest £28 million in capital grant funding.
We are seeking open engagement and proposals from the following organisations which are able to deliver Independent Living housing:
- Housing providers
- Registered care providers
- Partnerships between the above.
Organisations applying for capital grant are encouraged to:
- Consider recent publications and research
- Develop new ideas and concepts
- Propose schemes that are innovative in terms of design, delivery, management, tenure mix and location.
Capital grant application pack
The capital grant application pack consists of:
For enquiries, and to return completed application packs, contact ILgateway@essex.gov.uk