Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

You are currently in: Family finance

11.12.17 - 12.12.17 - check to see if your school is open - information on school closures due to adverse weather. More information about school closures

11.12.17 - 12.12.17 - for updates on all major roads, including the M11, A12, A120 and A130, please go to the @highwayseast twitter feed.

11.12.17 - 12.12.17 - track the progress of our gritters on the run tonight and tomorrow morning. Track our gritters here

Family finance

5 April 2017

There are a variety of ways you can get help with the cost of childcare. The information below will give you a brief overview but we suggest you visit Childcare Choices to find out more about the different support you may be able to access.

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is an income-related allowance for parents and carers of children or young people who are still in full-time education. 

Working Tax Credit

If you are working more than 16 hours a week and you are on a low income, you may be able to get Working Tax Credit too. For more information call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900 or textphone 0845 300 3909. 

Employer supported childcare

Some employers provide support with finding and paying for childcare. Talk to your employer about what they offer. See information from HM Revenue and Customs on getting help from your employer. For more detailed information on the help you might be entitled to, visit GOV.UK.

Help for parents in higher education

If you are a full-time student with children you may qualify for extra financial help on top of your standard student finance package. For more information, visit GOV.UK.

Tax free childcare

Tax free childcare will be available to around two million households to help with the cost of childcare, enabling more parents to go out to work if they want to and providing greater security for families. You can also find out 10 things parents should know about tax free childcare.