Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Pupil and parent support



16 January 2017

If you're a parent/carer or young person and need advice or support relating to teenage pregnancy, this page has useful information for you. 


If you've found out you're pregnant you may feel confused, scared and don’t know where to turn for help. The websites below offer advice and support on how to tell if you're pregnant, how to tell your parents and how to use professional options, such as counselling. 
  • Marie Stopes – online counselling and advice about pregnancy and sexual health.
  • Tommy's – young women's guide to a healthy pregnancy. 

Parents and carers 

If your child or a child in your care tells you that they or their girlfriend are pregnant, you may want to information or support from a professional. Make an appointment to speak with your GP for advice.

Education for pregnant pupils

If a pupil is of statutory school age and is pregnant the Alternative Education Commissioning Service (AECS) can arrange tuition when she is unable to attend school. During this time the pupil should remain on roll of the school.
Teaching outside of school is normally available six weeks before and six weeks after the birth of the baby. However, each case is considered on an individual basis. Where there are extenuating circumstances and evidence, it may be possible to provide teaching for a longer period of time.

Referrals for support from the AECS should be made by the school. You will need to provide the school with the medical evidence, confirming the date the baby is expected. The school will forward this to us with the referral form.
If you have any queries about accessing education you can speak to the senior caseworker in the AECS on 033301 31152.