Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Blue Badges Old

Who can get one

1 May 2018

The Blue Badge scheme helps people with physical disabilities to park closer to their destination.
You can apply for one yourself, or on behalf of another person or organisation.
You don’t have to own a vehicle to apply. You can apply if you’re a driver, or if you travel as a passenger.

Before you apply, you must check that you are eligible for a Blue Badge.

Depending on your condition, you may be automatically eligible, or your mobility may need to be assessed.
Please note:  We are aware of other websites offering online blue badge applications for a fee.  Essex County Council will not ask for payment when submitting your online application.    Please check for the red Essex County Council logo.

Conditions that are not eligible

The following conditions are not in themselves a qualification for a badge. You may be eligible however if you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking.
  • Temporary conditions
  • Medical conditions such as:
    • Asthma
    • Autism
    • Psychological/behavioural problems
    • Crohn's disease/incontinent conditions
    • Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.)

Automatic entitlement

You need to meet at least one of the following:

  • You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • You receive the Personal Independence Payment Mobility Component and your “moving around” score is 8 or more
  • You are registered blind
  • You receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • You have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and are certified as having a permanent disability which causes inability to walk, or very considerable difficulty walking

Special Rules

If you are terminally ill (with a progressive disease and are not expected to live for more than 12 months) then Special Rules apply.

Your application will need to be supported by a specialist nurse or consultant. This could be in the form of a previously issued letter or a copy of your DS1500 (if issued).

Discretionary entitlement

Discretionary entitlement means that you may be referred for a mobility assessment before your application can be processed.

You may be eligible for a badge if you have a permanent physical disability and this means:

  • You are unable to walk
  • You have very considerable difficulty in walking
  • You drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter

Children under three

If you are a parent of a child under three years of age you can apply for a badge for your child if they have a medical condition which means that they:

  • Must always travel with bulky medical equipment which can’t be carried around without great difficulty; and/or
  • Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital