Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Paying for care and support

Financial assessments

4 April 2019

What is a financial assessment?

A financial assessment tells us how much you can afford to pay towards your care and support. It looks at your:

  • Income – such as pensions and benefits
  • Capital – such as savings, investments, property and land 

We will not look at the income or property of your partner in the financial assessment.

How do I get a financial assessment?

If we agree you have care and support needs we should meet under the Care Act 2014, we will contact you to arrange a financial assessment.

You can choose to complete the financial assessment form:

  • yourself or ask someone to do it on your behalf
  • by telephone with a member of the financial assessment team (not applicable in all cases)

If you or your financial representative need help completing the form, we may be able to offer a face to face meeting with a member of the financial assessment team.

If you choose to complete the form yourself, we recommend you seek independent benefits and financial advice.

Find out what you need to tell us in a financial assessment.

Contact us if you have any questions about your financial assessment.

Not completing a financial assessment

If you don’t want to complete a financial assessment or tell us about your financial circumstances, we will assume you can pay for the full cost of your care and we will charge you that amount. 

By choosing the ‘non-disclosure’ option on the form, you are agreeing to our terms of paying the full cost of your care and we will confirm this in writing to you. If you don’t pay, we will take action to recover any outstanding charges owed to us.

What happens after your financial assessment

We will send you a letter that explains how much you need to pay towards your care and support and how we worked this out.

See our examples of what a financial assessment outcome looks like and what it means:

When you receive your financial assessment outcome, please check that all the information is correct and let us know straight away if something is wrong.

Giving away your assets

Giving away your assets, such as property or money, to avoid paying care costs is called ‘deprivation of assets’. If we think this has happened, we will include the value of the assets in your financial assessment.

See the Care Act guidance on financial assessments.

Annual reassessment: why your payments might change

We will review what you pay towards your care each year. This is called an annual reassessment.

The reassessment accounts for any changes to benefits and legislation that all local authorities must follow. It will also explain any changes to care charges.

We will send you a letter in late February or early March explaining the outcome of the reassessment.

Changes to your circumstances

It's important to tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes to your circumstances. If you don't, this might have an impact on your annual reassessment.

We need to know about changes to your:

  • name
  • address
  • income, including changes to your benefits entitlement
  • savings or capital
  • expenses linked to your disability

Please contact us so we can update our records and if necessary, we will ask you to fill in a short form detailing changes to your financial circumstances. You won’t need to complete another full financial assessment.


It is your responsibility to make sure your benefit entitlement is correct. Contact the Department for Work and Pensions about any changes to your circumstances to avoid an overpayment or underpayment of benefits.

Visit Living Well Essex for more information on claiming benefits.

Related content