About the coroner
Who is the coroner?
The coroner is an independent judicial officer appointed by the Crown.
In Essex, our coroners are:
- Caroline Beasley-Murray, Senior Coroner
- Eleanor McGann, Area Coroner
- Lincoln Brookes, Area Coroner
What does the coroner do?
The coroner is responsible for investigating:
- violent or unnatural death
- sudden deaths with no known cause
- reported deaths in custody
- treasure finds
For more information on the work of the coroner, see the Guide to coroner services on GOV.UK.Print this page