Contact us

Opening hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30am to 5pm, unless otherwise mentioned.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Our services have reopened with some restrictions. For information on how to get tested for coronavirus, visit the coronavirus hub. You will also find advice, support and contact information.

To report abuse or neglect:

If you believe someone is in immediate danger, dial 999. Otherwise call us on the numbers below:

Report a concern about an adult

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Out of hours telephone: 0345 606 1212

Report a concern about a child

Telephone: 0345 603 7627
Out of hours telephone: 0345 606 1212
You can also report a concern on the Children and Families hub

Main telephone numbers:

We are currently experiencing large call volumes, so please check if you can search for the information online.

Check if your service is listed below, otherwise complete the general enquiries online form. Our customer team will get back to you within 20 days.

Adult Community Learning (ACL)

Telephone: 0345 603 7635

ACL Essex’s learning centres reopened to priority learners in September 2020 in line with COVID-19 guidance. The centres are open for supported learning and functional skills curriculum areas.

ACL Essex is also offering many online and distance learning courses. Contact them or visit the website for more information.

Adult Social Care

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Out of hours telephone: 0345 606 1212

Adult Social Care invoices and Financial Assessment queries

Telephone: 03330 135 860
Open 8:30am to 4:30pm

Children's Social Care

Telephone: 0345 603 7627

Coroner's service

Telephone: 03330 135 000


Telephone: 0345 603 7631
This number is for urgent enquiries only. Visit the highways website to report a new problem or to check an existing problem


Telephone: 0345 603 7628

Make a payment

This number is for payments to Essex County Council
Telephone: 0345 603 7637

Media enquiries

This number is for journalists only.
Telephone: 03330 132800
Out of hours telephone: 07717 867525

Registration services

Telephone: 0345 603 7632
Book a telephone appointment to register a death
Book an appointment to register a birth
Marriages and civil partnerships latest update


Telephone: 0345 603 2200
For Early Years and Family Information Service (FIS), please refer to our web pages.

Request information

To request information under the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act, go to request information

Complaints and compliments

To send us a complaint or compliment, complete our online form, or contact us by post:

Compliance and Complaints
Customer Services
Essex County Council
PO Box 11, County Hall
Essex CM1 1QH

Print this page