Coronavirus support for businesses

Apply to use additional outdoor space

You might be able to use pavements, parking bays and roads to create additional outdoor space. You will need a licence and you may also need other types of permission first.

The government has made it quicker and easier to apply for additional outdoor space during the pandemic.

Depending on what space you want to use and what you want to put on it, the approval process is slightly different.

There are 4 different packages you can apply for. They each allow you to use a different type of outdoor space for tables, chairs, umbrellas, heaters, gazebos and other compliant furniture:

Package 1: use the pavement adjacent to your premises

To apply for package 1, contact your local council's licensing department and complete the online pavement licence application form.

Packages 2, 3 and 4: use the road adjacent to your premises

The 3 other packages allow you to use the road adjacent to your premises:

Package 2: use an existing parking bay as outdoor space.

Package 3: use side roads that are fully or partially closed, such as cul-de-sacs and no-through roads, as outdoor space.

Package 4: use any part of a highway (other than those in packages 1, 2 and 3) as outdoor space.

To apply for package 2, 3 or 4, email and indicate which package you are interested in.

Marquees, gazebos and tents

Marquees, gazebos or tents open on three or more sides, are outdoor spaces.

If two or more sides are covered with material, it is an indoor space. This includes if it is near to a building or structure that acts like a wall.

You can read GOV.UK’s guidance on pavement licences for more information.

Print this page