Help with childcare costs

Early years pupil premium

If you are getting free childcare for your 3 or 4-year old, you might be eligible for up to £300 each year to help your child’s development.

This funding is called Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) and is paid directly to childcare providers.

The amount you get depends on how many hours your child spends in a childcare setting. It will not affect any benefits you are getting.

How EYPP can help your child

Children develop quickly during their early years and a child's experiences between birth and the age of 5 can have a big impact on their later life.

EYPP can improve early learning experiences and the funding could be used on things like:

  • extra resources and equipment suited to your child’s needs
  • activity experiences
  • preparing for school
  • additional support if it benefits your child’s learning

Your childcare provider will work with you on how the funding could be used to help your child’s development.

Eligibility criteria

Your childcare provider might be entitled to EYPP if you’re receiving any of these benefits:

  • Income support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income related employment support allowance
  • Child tax credit (providing you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit (WTC) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • WTC run-on, paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for WTC
  • support under part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of the state pension credit
  • Universal Credit (currently under review)

You might also be eligible if your child has:

  • been in local authority care for at least one day
  • been adopted from care
  • left care through a special guardianship

How to apply

Speak to your childcare provider if you think your child might be eligible for EYPP.

They will ask you to fill in an EYPP voluntary registration form which they will use to claim the funding.

Print this page