Housing options and care homes

Care homes

You may need to consider moving to a care home if you:

Choosing a care home

It is important to find a home that is going to provide the right level of care to meet your needs.

The main types of care homes are:

Residential care homes

These homes provide 24-hour help with personal care such as eating, washing and taking medication.

Residents can still get healthcare from GPs and district nurses as they would if they were at home.

Nursing care homes

These homes provide 24-hour nursing care. They are for people with more complex needs who need regular medical attention.

Other types of care homes

There are also care homes that provide:

  • both residential and nursing care (known as dual registered care homes)
  • specialist care for people with dementia, people with learning disabilities and people with mental health problems

Some care homes also offer short-term placements. For example, if you are recovering from an illness, a hospital stay, or if your carer needs a break (known as 'respite care').

Find a care home

Finding a care home that's right for you or your loved one can be daunting.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) allows you to search for local care homes. You can also read their guide on what can you expect from a good care home?

Healthwatch offers independent advice on health and social care service. Read their guide on five steps to follow when choosing a care home.

Age UK offers advice on finding a care home.

Your care and support needs

If you are considering a care home for yourself, contact Adult Social Care for a chat about your care and support needs. They will look at the best option to meet these needs.

Paying for a care home

Most people have to pay something towards their care and support. How much you pay depends on your income and assets.

Find out more about paying for care and support.

Paying for your own care (self-funding)

If you are not eligible for financial support, you will have to pay the full cost of your care home fees.

It is a good idea to talk to an independent financial expert to get accurate and impartial advice.

Even if you are paying for your own care home fees, you can still contact us to have a chat about your care and support needs.

Attendance Allowance is a benefit to help older people who need extra help with care costs. GOV.UK has more information on Attendance Allowance.

Report a concern

If you are concerned about someone not being treated properly in a care home, report it.

Print this page