Housing options and care homes

Homelessness: get advice and support

If you are at risk of becoming homeless, your local authority can provide advice and support on:

  • what your rights are to stay in your home
  • your housing options
  • preventing eviction

If you are unable to find anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council if you:

  • are eligible
  • are legally homeless
  • have been threatened with homelessness

How much help you get depends on your circumstances.

Emergency housing

If you are likely to be homeless, you might be eligible for temporary accommodation from your local council. They will look at your circumstances and assess if you're eligible for help.

Contact your local council more information and homelessness advice.

Essex Floating Support Service

This free service gives housing related support, including how to:

  • maintain your tenancy and prevent homelessness
  • budget your money
  • manage debt
  • claim welfare benefits

Essex Floating Support Service

To access this service, contact Peabody.

The service is available in Basildon, Braintree, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Castle Point, Colchester, Epping Forest, Harlow, Maldon, Rochford and Rayleigh, Tendring and Uttlesford.

More information

GOV.UK has guidance on emergency housing if you're homeless.

Shelter gives advice on getting help from your local council.

Citizens Advice offers advice on applying for homeless help.

StreetLink helps people who are sleeping rough to connect with local support services. Get advice if you're worried about someone else who is sleeping rough.

Print this page