Some of our services have changed. Visit our coronavirus hub for the latest information and advice, including updates about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), support for carers and people living with dementia and direct payments.
Please visit these pages for updates before contacting us.
Housing options and care homes
Independent Living housing
Independent Living housing, also known as extra care housing, is for people aged 55 or over with care needs but want to stay independent. These properties provide 24-hour care and support onsite.
To qualify for Independent living and extra care housing you need:
- to be aged 55 and over
- at least 6 hours of care and support each week
- to live in a district offering the scheme or have a connection to that area
Local councils have their own eligibility criteria. Contact your local council for more information and advice:
- Basildon Borough Council
- Braintree District Council
- Brentwood Borough Council
- Castle Point Borough Council
- Chelmsford City Council
- Colchester Borough Council
- Epping Forest District Council
- Harlow District Council
- Maldon District Council
- Rochford District Council
- Tendring District Council
- Uttlesford District Council
Visit Independent Living in Essex for more information on cost, the properties available and how to apply.Print this page