Adult social care and health: latest service update

Some of our services have changed. Visit our coronavirus hub for the latest information and advice, including updates about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), support for carers and people living with dementia and direct payments.

Please visit these pages for updates before contacting us.

Housing options and care homes

Supported living

Supported living is housing for people with disabilities who want to live independently but may need some help and support.

Supported living housing can be:

  • shared houses, usually with 2 to 4 tenants living together with their own bedrooms and sharing a communal space
  • single occupancy units, where people have their own property within a group of other single occupancy properties

In this type of housing the landlord and the support provider are separate.

Assessing your care and support needs

You need a social care assessment to find out your care and support needs. Adult social care will let you know if supported living is a good housing option for you.

Contact Adult Social Care for a chat about your care and support needs.

Paying for supported living

If you move into a supported living property, you'll have to pay rent which may include:

  • service charge to cover the property or scheme manager
  • general maintenance of the property

If you're eligible for Housing Benefit, you might be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent.

More information

The NHS has information on supported living services.

Mencap offers support on supported living.

Print this page