Our services have reopened with some restrictions. For information on how to get tested for coronavirus, visit the coronavirus hub. You will also find advice, support and contact information.
Information for residents
Prepare for changes after Brexit if you live in the UK
GOV.UK provides guidance on how to prepare for changes after Brexit if you live in the UK.
EU, EEA or Swiss nationals living in the UK
The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.
EEA or Swiss Citizens will be able to continue to move to the UK to live and work until 31 December 2020. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020.
GOV.UK has prepared a step by step guide to help you understand if you need to apply and what you'll need to do if you decide to stay in the UK.
To find out what you need to do and when, use the online tool on GOV.UK.
You do not need to apply to the settlement scheme if you have:
- permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain
- British or Irish citizenship (including dual citizenship)
Support for the EU Settlement Scheme
Visit GOV.UK for:
- translations of the guidance and promotional materials for the settlement scheme in all EU languages
- a toolkit to help voluntary and community organisations support EU communities
- details of the EU Exit: ID Document Check App that you can use to validate a passport or identity document. If you do not have access to a suitable phone or device then you can find a local scanning service listed at gov.uk. This includes services provided at some Essex Libraries.
If you need further help with an application please contact the EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379. If you need immigration advice, then you can contact one of the organisations listed online that are allowed to provide this advice.
If you do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to use a computer or mobile device to complete the online application then contact the Assisted Digital Service on 03333 445 675 or by texting “VISA” to 07537 416 944.
UK nationals living in the EU
Visit GOV.UK for guidance on the rights and status of UK nationals living in the European Union (EU), Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
You can also check specific guidance for the country you live in.Print this page