Check websites for the latest information.
Leisure, culture and local heritage
Heritage, local history and archives
Historical records and archives
Visit the Essex Record Office (ERO) for historic records and archives about Essex.
The ERO also provides other services, such as:
- copies of birth, death and marriage certificates
- access to genealogy records
- conservation, preservation of books, documents
- digitisation and archiving
- venue hire for meetings, conferences and weddings
Alongside its archival holdings, Essex Record Office looks after a significant collection of art.
Historic environment services
Visit Place Services for specialist advice and services in the following areas:
- planning and listed buildings
- historic environment records
- heritage assessment
- management of heritage assets and historic places
- traditional building skills and conservation training
See also Historic England for information on listed buildings, heritage at risk and related information.
A conservation area is a specific local area recognised as being worthy of preservation or enhancement. Local authorities are responsible for conservation areas. If you have a query about one, please contact the relevant local authority.
Report a treasure find
Treasure finds should be reported to the Coroner's Service.Print this page