Recent updates

Essex stands with Ukraine: read the latest updates on what you can do to help, and information for sponsors and guests on the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Living with a disability or health condition

Preparing for adulthood (transition from children's to adult services)

This can be a confusing and stressful time for you and your family as you make the transition from children's services to adult services.

There are some useful resources and guidance on the Preparing for Adulthood website.

Getting support

If you have an Education and Health Care Plan, the Preparing for Adulthood advisors will support you from the age of 14.

If you also have social care needs, the Children and Young People with Disabilities team will support you, while you are still in education, up to the age of 25.

If you are 18 or over, have not previously had any contact with the above teams, and you feel you need support, contact Adult Social Care.

You can find more information about what to expect and how to get support on Essex Local Offer.

More information

Personal Assistance for Life Skills (PALS) provides a variety of services to enable people with learning disabilities to live more independently.

InterAct focuses on improving the emotional wellbeing and opportunities of young people and young adults with disabilities and supports them at different stages of their lives, particularly in times of transition.

Easy read

Thinking ahead: A planning guide for families is published by the Foundation for people with learning disabilities.

Print this page