Carers Rights Day
There are around 150,000 unpaid carers in Essex playing a vital role in supporting families and friends to live independently within their own homes and communities.
This Carers Rights Day, carers across the county are urged to find out their rights and what support is available to them.
Carers Rights Day is an annual campaign lead by Carers Uk that aims to raise awareness around carers rights. It is also an opportunity to thank carers for their selfless contributions and highlight the support available to them.
While rewarding, caring can be challenging with many carers sacrificing parts of their own lives to help enrich the lives of others.
Maintaining school attendance, employment, social activities and friendships can be hard and that can have an impact on a carers’ own physical, emotional and financial wellbeing.
Earlier this year the County Council launched The Essex All-Age Carers Strategy 2022-26 which outlines how ECC and partners will support unpaid carers of all ages undertake the invaluable contribution they make to society.
ECC Commitments to carers included within the strategy include:
• to ensure carers can easily access the information, advice, guidance and support when they need it, early into their caring role
• to develop professional practice and processes to improve identification and support to carers
• to improve transitions for carers as they move through specific phases or life events in their caring role
• to ensure carers have increased opportunity to access good quality support, including opportunities for breaks, to maintain their own wellbeing and those they care for
• to ensure carers’ needs and rights will be understood and recognised across Essex communities.
• to recognise that carers will be the experts that influence, shape and be involved in the decisions that are intended to improve their support and wellbeing.
A whole host of support is available to carers in Essex. This includes information and guidance, befriending services, counselling, financial assistance, help with breaks and respite and more.