Get excited for the Essex Summer of Culture 2022
This month sees the launch of the Essex Summer of Culture 2022.
Themed ‘The World Around Us’, the event will bring a programme of partnered and funded cultural events and activities to Essex this summer
The theme celebrates the physical and mental health benefits of being outdoors while promoting the creative activities available to Essex residents in the county’s green spaces.
Here are some of the exciting events coming up:
- On Saturday 21 May an exhibition about life on Mersea Island and Cudmore Grove Country Park during the pandemic. The Landscape Imaginary exhibition by artistic duo, Daniel & Clara, features film screenings and children’s workshops on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 May from 10am - 5pm at East Mersea Village Hall. Maps for a self-guided walk around Cudmore Grove Country Park are also available from East Mersea Village Hall.
- During the May half-term, the Essex Cultural Diversity Project and Explore Essex are hosting a series of free events at the Essex County Parks which culminate in a ‘Global Village Finale’ at Hadleigh Country Park on Sunday 3 July from 11.30am – 4pm.
- ‘Books in the Park’ takes place on Saturday 1 June and sees the Essex Libraries Mobile Book Bus visit Weald and Thorndon Country Parks to promote a love of books in the great outdoors as part of the Essex Year of Reading.
- The Essex Book Festival will be bringing Midsummer Madness – which features author events, live music and theatre – to heritage site Cressing Temple Barns on Saturday 25 June.
- Further literary events include the Essex Record Office and Essex Book Festival hosting environmental writer and poet, Wendy Constance, who will be running a writing workshop and exploring the history of flooding along the Essex coastline on Saturday 23 July.
The Essex Summer of Culture 2022 will also see work commence on the successful application to the Explore Essex Arts Commission.
The winning entry by Amanda Kelleher, ‘Now: The Future. Curious Stories of Climate and Connection’, will take place this summer and is free for the county’s residents to enjoy.
A free Essex Summer of Culture digital guide is available with more information.
More information about the Essex Summer of Culture 2022 events is also available at the Explore Essex website.