Love Local: support Essex businesses
There are unique shops, special places and friendly faces to be found in every corner of Essex. Local businesses have faced huge challenges in the last year and they need our support more than ever.
Welcome to Love Local. We’re encouraging everyone to get behind the small business community in Essex and enjoy the benefits that come with local shopping, dining and visiting.
With an economy to boost, communities to support and net-zero targets to meet, Essex’s future can be redefined by supporting local businesses. Together, we can get local people back on their feet. We can create jobs and grow our economy. Ultimately, we can make sure local businesses thrive this summer and beyond.
So, let’s champion the produce, products and people of Essex. Let’s Love Local.
How to support local businesses
It’s time to rediscover the magic of the high street, so head to your local town centre and make a day of it. From hidden gems in independent gift stores to your favourite brands in a local fashion shop, you never know what you’ll discover when you Love Local.
If browsing for a bargain is more your thing, spend the summer uncovering the creators and crafters of Essex at farmer’s markets, car boots sales and country fairs.
For those who like shopping from the sofa, you can Click It Local instead. This Essex-based shopping site gives you the chance to browse local shops, order from different retailers and have items delivered to your home in one package. Supporting local retailers and reducing your carbon footprint? Win, win.
Here are some more tips to find and support local retailers:
- find local and online eco-stores on Love Essex to support local and go sustainable
- discover handmade gifts and unique items made by local people on the Made in Essex website
- find gifts, crafts and local businesses in Essex on the UK Small Business Directory
- use websites like Etsy and E-bay and filter the sellers' location to your area
- find small businesses near you on the Small Business Saturday website
- find local shops and services on InYourArea
- search for local businesses online and give them a call to find out how you can shop with them.
Eat and drink local
Your favourite coffee shops, bistros, pubs and restaurants are open, and you can choose whether to sit indoors with five friends or two households, or outdoors in a group of up to 30 people. So, book a table and enjoy great food, drink and company at a local venue.
Get behind local restaurants, pubs, cafes and suppliers by:
- finding a local restaurant or cafe on Visit Essex
- ordering local produce from Help Essex Buy Local
- booking a table at a local restaurant on Open Table
- finding everything from cheap eats to local fine-dining restaurants on TripAdvisor
- discovering local eateries on Instagram using #EssexFood, #EssexEats and #EssexPub
- searching for local food delivery services online and ordering directly rather than using delivery apps. The apps charge restaurants up to 30 per cent of the cost of your order
We have fantastic attractions here in Essex and they’ve spent a long time preparing for our safe return. Zoos, theme parks, cinemas, play zones, activity centres – the world is your oyster and we bet the whole family is ready for a day out.
Visit Essex has the low-down on all the best activities, experiences and accommodation in Essex.
If you've been longing for a change of scenery, book a staycation here in Essex. You’re bound to get the best experience when you choose an independent stay, whether a boutique hotel, relaxed hostel or self-catering getaway is your style.
Share the love with local businesses online
Love Local near you
Local councils and partners have set up schemes to support businesses in their area. You’ll find more opportunities to Love Local on their websites:
- Basildon’s Bouncing Back!
- Brentwood Open
- Castle Point
- Chelmsford For You
- Our Colchester
- Epping Forest
- Maldon: Let’s keep it local
- Saffron Walden
Do you own a local business?
We are offering funding, grants and support to help you through the restrictions. Visit our support for businesses and employers section to find out more.