Marking 100 days of our new Cabinet
Today marks the end of our new Cabinet’s first 100 days in office. Led by Cllr Kevin Bentley, Cabinet Members have made great progress over the past few months in addressing key areas that mean the most to residents and businesses. However, they are clear that this is just the beginning.
Following the elections in May, Cabinet Members set out their intentions, focused on the themes of Renewal, Equality and Ambition. This included helping communities and businesses to not only recover from the Covid-19 pandemic but to thrive, now and in the future.
Members have had a busy and productive first 100 days in office and some of the key activity that has been rolled out, includes:
- repairing over one million square metres of roads and 40,000 square metres of footpaths and cycleways
- creating over 600 new roles for unemployed young people aged 18-24 as part of the Government's Kickstart scheme
- delivering four BT broadband contracts under Superfast Essex programme for a further 12,000 premises
- starting construction of the West Mersea temporary defence barrier scheme
- launching a new £500,000 fund to support community action on climate change
- working with the Essex Climate Action Commission (ECAC) to develop and publish the ‘Net Zero: Making Essex Carbon Neutral’ report
- launching the Active Essex ‘Find your Active campaign, supported by a £1.25 million fund
- launching Essex Pedal Power, a £2.7million community-based project being piloted in Clacton and Jaywick Sands
- launching the new Essex Care Technology Service to support people with care needs access and use the latest technology to help them to live as independently as possible
- announcing the Essex Education Task Force which will invest £1million in reading over the next 18 months, to support children and young people affected by the loss of learning during the Covid-19 pandemic
- piloting construction methods designed to deliver net-zero, future proof, inclusive school buildings
A full summary about all the activity that has happened during the first 100 days will be available shortly.