What service is being provided?
Library services, including:
- General library membership and use
- Request for an item we don't already stock
- Home Library Service
- Book groups
- Summer Reading Challenge participants
- Library Ambassadors
What personal data do we need from you?
- Email address
- Telephone numbers
- All of the above personal details for your emergency contact (Only for Home Library Service customers)
- Date of birth
- Library card number
- Gender (Only for the Summer Reading Challenge)
- School name (Only for the Summer Reading Challenge)
- Alternative contact details and meeting location for your book group
Who will be using your personal data?
The Data Controller is Essex County Council
The Data Protection Officer for Essex County Council can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Infor, Lorensbergs, Bibliotheca, GOV.UK Notify and Talking Tech are Data Processors supporting library services by providing us with systems.
What will it be used for and what gives us the right to ask for it and use it?
- Delivering library services to you
- Planning and improving library services
- Preventing or detecting of fraud or crime
- Research using anonymised personal data. If we wish to use your identifiable personal data we will seek your permission.
If we cannot use your data we would not be able to provide you with a library service.
Our legal basis for using your personal data is under a legal obligation, the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964.
Who else might we share your data with?
- Thurrock Borough Council (Who share library stock and systems with us)
- Police (Only for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime or fraud)
- Family Operations Hub and Essex Social Care Direct (For safeguarding purposes)
- Volunteers supporting service provision
Will your data be stored in or accessible from countries with no UK-equivalent Privacy Law protections?
How long will your data be kept?
We will stop using your data no more than three years after you last used our library services, after which point it will be deleted.
Our use of your data will be subject to the following legal rights
- Your Right to be Informed
- Your Right to Access your personal data
- Your Right for us to Rectify your personal data
- Your Right to Restrict our processing of your personal data
Visit the following links for more information about Privacy Law, our obligations and your rights
If you have concerns over the way we are asking for or using your personal data, please raise the matter with our Data Protection Officer
- Postal Address: Data Protection Officer, Information Governance Team, Essex County Council, County Hall, Market Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM11QH
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone number: 0333 013 9824
If you still have concerns following our response you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner's Office
- Postal address: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
- Online form
- Phone number: 0303 123 1113
Our full privacy notice
Take a look at our full privacy notice.