Register a birth
What you should bring
If you can, you should bring the baby's red book or hospital discharge papers.
At the appointment, the registrar will ask you to confirm:
- when and where your baby was born
- the sex of the baby
- full name of the child and the correct spelling
- full names of the parent/s and the correct spelling
- parents' jobs and addresses
- dates and places of birth of parents
- the date of marriage and the mother’s maiden name, if the parents are married
Once you have registered your baby, a full birth certificate will be issued. You will need this when applying for your child's passport and schools.
There’s no fee for registering your baby, but you can buy a full birth certificate for £11 at the appointment, paying by cash, card or cheque.
You can buy extra copies from the Essex Records Office at any time, but it might cost slightly more.