School attendance and absence
You could be issued with a penalty notice if your child misses school without permission.
Reasons for penalty notices include:
- unauthorised absence
- your child was identified during a school attendance and exclusion sweep
- holidays in term time without permission
- excluded pupils found in a public place during the first 5 days of exclusion
How much a penalty notice costs
Penalty fines cost:
- £60 per child, per parent, if you pay within 21 days
- £120 per child, per parent if you pay within 28 days
You could be prosecuted if you don’t pay the fine after 28 days.
Penalty notices are sent by post.
How to pay
You can pay your fine online.
Withdrawal of a penalty notice
A penalty notice can only be withdrawn if it:
- contains errors
- is shown that it should not have been issued
- did not follow the Essex Code of Conduct for issuing penalty notices (PDF, 152KB)
Appeal a penalty notice
There is no right of appeal against a penalty notice. Contact your child's school if you think a penalty notice should not have been issued.
If you have been issued a penalty notice or have received a Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter.
Telephone: 03330 322 988