Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

Support your child can get

Many children and young people may have some difficulties at some point during their education.

Early years providers (like nurseries or childminders), mainstream schools, colleges and other organisations can help most children and young people succeed with some changes to their practice or additional support.

Some children and young people will need extra help for some or all of their time in education and training.

SEND support

SEND support is the system used by schools and other education settings to identify, assess and support the majority of children and young people with special educational needs.

It involves a cycle of ‘assess, plan, do, review’. The child or young person and their parents or carers should be involved in this process. In Essex, this is known as ‘One Planning’.

Sometimes, a child or young person with more complex needs may need an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

An EHC plan is a statutory document which sets out the support a child or young person needs from all the agencies that support them (education, health and social care).

The Essex Local Offer provides more information on what SEND support children and young people can get including One Support and EHC plan.

Print this page