Support for businesses

Advice and support for hospitality businesses

Keeping your workplace safe

All businesses and venues should follow the government's COVID-secure guidelines to protect customers, visitors and workers.

Visitors should comply with government guidance on visiting venues, including restaurants and pubs.

For a full list of restrictions on business and venues in high alert level areas, see GOV.UK.

See also Hospitality UK's frequently asked questions for working examples.

Get more outdoor space

You might be able to use pavements, parking bays and roads to create additional outdoor space. You will need a licence and you may also need other types of permission first.

The government has made it quicker and easier to apply for additional outdoor space during the pandemic. Depending on what space you want to use and what you want to put on it, the approval process is slightly different.

There are four different packages you can apply for. They each allow you to use a different type of outdoor space for tables, chairs, umbrellas, heaters, gazebos and other compliant furniture:

  • Package 1: use the pavement adjacent to your premises

To apply for package 1, contact your local council's licensing department and complete the online pavement licence application form.

The three other packages allow you to use the road adjacent to your premises:

  • Package 2: use an existing parking bay as outdoor space
  • Package 3: use side roads that are fully or partially closed, such as cul-de-sacs and no-through roads, as outdoor space
  • Package 4: use any part of a highway (other than those in packages 1, 2 and 3) as outdoor space

To apply for package 2, 3 or 4, email and indicate which package you are interested in.

You can also read GOV.UK’s guidance on pavement licences for more information.

Marquees, gazebos and tents

Marquees, gazebos or tents open on three or more sides, are outdoor spaces.

If two or more sides are covered with material, it is an indoor space. This includes if it is near to a building or structure that acts like a wall.

Useful resources

Check the Covid-19 guidance for food businesses from the Food Standards Agency.
Read guidance on Covid-19 risk assessments from the Health and Safety Executive.

See our local advice and support for businesses page for details of funding and grant schemes.

Print this page