1. About This Policy
1.1. This policy specifies how we will decide whether a service, facility or activity that is supplied to a business will be subject to charge or provided at no cost. The policy also specifies what those charges will be.
1.2. Trading Standards will never charge for visits or inspections carried out as part of our intelligence led, risk based enforcement activities.
1.3. Trading Standards offers businesses access to the full range of Trading Standards knowledge and expertise on a charged for consultancy basis.
1.4. Responsible businesses should feel confident to approach Trading Standards, as a regulator, for advice and guidance. If, as a result of your approach to us, a problem with goods or services comes to our attention that must be corrected, we will help you to deal with that problem according to the risk posed. The primary objective of the service is to help business to achieve compliance and economic prosperity. We genuinely believe that the majority of businesses want to comply with the law and we will support them to do this. We reserve the right to take more formal action against those businesses that deliberately break the law or continue to be noncompliant after provision of appropriate advice and guidance.
1.5. Where a business commissions Trading Standards to provide charged for services, all work commissioned will be set out in writing and the cost/charges and method of payment agreed prior to any work commencing.
2. Activities not subject to a charge
2.1. There will be no charge for the examination of production processes, procedures and records (including informal and formal analysis) as a result of intelligence led, risk based inspections, investigations or projects instigated by Trading Standards.
3. Activities subject to charge
3.1. Business Advice:
3.1.1. Trading Standards provides advice, guidance and consultancy services including:
- Detailed advice covering all Trading Standards matters that may impact on a business (including a review of all products/services for compliance with Trading Standards legislation)
- Assessment of and report on product labelling for compliance with relevant legislation (food labels, credit adverts, safety labels, etc.)
- Formal or informal analysis of goods and report
- Testing of goods (specific gravity checks, quantity checks, product safety checks etc.)
- Calibration and verification services for mass, length and volume
- Assessing new or revised terms and conditions for compliance
- Assessment of brochures, leaflets or websites intended to promote or market a business
- Delivery of training and talks to businesses
- Consultancy services provided to other organisations at the request of that organisation
- Site visits and inspections at the request of or with agreement of the business
- Costs incurred by Trading Standards as a result of instigating a product safety recall if a business refuses to take action itself
- Policing of special events to eliminate illegal trading at the request of or with the agreement of the event organisers
- All Trading Standards activity associated with the issue, amendment, replacement or transfer of a Safety Certificate under Safety of Sports Grounds legislation unless the amendment, replacement or transfer is instigated by Trading Standards. No charge will be made for enforcement activity.
3.1.3. The business advice service remains free of charge to Essex businesses approved under the Buy With Confidence approved trader scheme and Essex based registered charities.
3.1.4. There will be no additional charge made for any time taken to translate business advice into different languages or provide business advice in different formats where that is deemed appropriate.
4.1. All requests for business advice will be acknowledged or responded to within one working day of receipt. If the enquiry is complex or is likely to take time to respond to we will discuss and agree a timescale with the business and provide a written quotation for the work.
5. Fees and charging arrangements
6.1. This policy (including fees and charges) will be reviewed on an annual basis.