Planning a clear out this weekend? Recycle for Essex has created a list of five tops tips to help dodge the bank holiday queues at your local recycling centre.
August bank holiday is always a popular time for budding DIY enthusiasts and keen cleaners to make the most of the extra time off.
But Essex residents are being urged to follow these five top tips to avoid wasting their weekend queuing at their local recycling centre.
- Put your feet up – bank holiday is a popular time for a clear out so why not wait and visit your local recycling centre mid-week or on another weekend to avoid the queues.
- Save packing up the car and recycle online – you can advertise your unwanted items for free on websites like Freegle and Freecycle where people will collect and reuse them.
- Donate your items – get a warm fuzzy feeling inside by donating your unwanted furniture, books and other household items to a reuse organisation or charity shop.
- Sell your unwanted items – you know the saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Earn money by selling your unwanted items online.
- Save effort and save up items for one big trip – reduce trips to the tip by saving items up to get rid of in one visit rather than making multiple visits.
Residents are also being reminded about new rules introduced last October at local recycling centres. Since last autumn, only larger recycling centres will accept small quantities of heavy DIY and construction waste, such as kitchen units, bathroom suites, soil and hardcore. Residents should use skip services for larger projects.
Please visit recycleforessex.com
to check the new rules at your nearest recycling centre before visiting, or to find the most appropriate site for your items. The smaller sites are generally less busy, so sometimes a slightly longer drive could actually lead to a quicker trip.
Councillor Simon Walsh, Essex County Council Cabinet Member for Environment and Waste, said: “This time of year we often see an increase in traffic at our recycling centres as people have a clear-out and use bank holiday weekends to do a spot of DIY around the home.
“By following our top tips you can make sure that you can enjoy your bank holiday weekend and keep the time spent at our recycling centre to an absolute minimum.”