Recycle for Essex is giving away free compost to say thank you to residents for recycling almost 160,000 tonnes of garden and food waste in the past year.
Residents can take away three bags of compost each if they bring their own spade and bags along to a series of events across the county during International Compost Awareness Week, from May 6 to 12.
At the giveaway, expert composters will be on hand to offer advice on how to turn waste into a natural soil improver, which can be used to dress lawns, pot plants, revitalise flowerbeds or be mulched as a plant feed for vegetable patches.
Cllr Simon Walsh, Cabinet Member for Environment and Waste, said: “The people of Essex recycled an incredible 157,312 tonnes of garden and food waste in the last 12 months. To put that into perspective, that’s 12,400 London buses.
“The compost giveaway is our way of saying thank you to everyone who has recycled their food and garden waste.
“Our free events are also an excellent way to learn how you can make your own compost. We will have experts on hand to give you all the help and advice you need to get started.
“Composting is not only an excellent way to help your garden grow, it is one of the most environmentally friendly ways to dispose of waste.
“Rather than waste being taken away and processed, it is dealt with naturally without ever leaving the property and goes on to help keep your garden looking beautiful all year round.”
The compost will be limited to three bags per vehicle while stocks last.
Events are taking place at:
- Promenade Park, Maldon, CM9 5JQ, on Sunday, 6 May, from 10am until 2pm
- Clements Hall Leisure Centre car park, Clements Hall Way, Hawkwell, Hockley, SS5 4LN, on Tuesday, 8 May, from 10am until 2pm
- Farmhouse Depot, Canvey Road, Canvey Island, SS8 0QU, on Saturday, 12 May, from 8.30am until 1pm
- Danbury Park, Lakes Car Park, on Woodhill Road, Danbury, CM3 4AW, on Saturday, 12 May, from 9am until 12pm
- West End Lane car park, Dovercourt, CO12 3TA, on Saturday, 12 May, from 11am until 3pm
- Great Notley Country Park, Great Notley, CM77 7FS, on Tuesday, 8 May, from 10am until 1pm
- North Weald Airfield, Merlin Way, North Weald Bassett, Epping, CM16 6AA, on Tuesday, 8 May, from 10am until 2pm
- Cudmore Grove Country Park, Bromans Lane, East Mersea, CO5 8UE, on Thursday, 10 May, from 8.30am until 1pm