Supported living

For people with disabilities who want to live independently but may need some help and support

Supported living is housing for people with disabilities who want to live independently but may need some help and support. Read the easy read guide for supported living (PDF, 1.13MB)

Supported living housing can be:

  • shared houses, usually with 2 to 4 tenants living together with their own bedrooms and sharing a communal space
  • single occupancy units, where people have their own property within a group of other single occupancy properties

In this type of housing the landlord and the support provider are separate.

Assessing your care and support needs

You need a social care assessment to find out your care and support needs. Adult social care will let you know if supported living is a good housing option for you.

Contact Adult Social Care for a chat about your care and support needs. A family member or friend can be part of the conversation.

Moving into supported living

If supported living is right for you, you will be able to visit some homes and meet the tenants to decide if you want to live there.

A family member, friend or your advocate can help you sign the tenancy agreement and move into supported living accommodation.

Paying for supported living

If you move into a supported living property, you'll have to pay rent which may include:

  • service charge to cover the property or scheme manager
  • general maintenance of the property

If you're eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you might be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent.

If you choose a shared house, you will need to pay an equal share of the electricity, water and gas bills. If you choose a single unit, you will need to pay all the bills.

More information

The NHS has information on supported living services.

If you are interested in providing supported living services for people with disabilities, please visit the Provider Hub website.