When you should report a safeguarding concern

Find out what to do if you suspect an adult is at risk if neglect or abuse

If you believe someone is in immediate danger, dial 999. If there is no immediate risk, but a police response is required, call 101 or report on the Essex Police website.

Tell us immediately when someone is at risk from:

  • abuse 
  • mistreatment 
  • neglect

Find out what abuse, mistreatment and neglect is

If you suspect an adult you know is at risk, you can report a concern as a member of the public.

We'll arrange for someone to contact you to make sure the person is okay.

We'll work with you to see if there is anything we can do to help you to keep everyone safe. We call this safeguarding.

What to do you suspect abuse

When speaking to someone you’re worried about, make sure to:

  • always listen carefully
  • make a note of what has happened or what you are worried about
  • tell someone trustworthy

Make sure you: 

  • do not confront the person you think is responsible for the abuse
  • do not destroy the evidence
  • do not start to investigate the situation

If you suspect abuse from care professionals

For advice and guidance about organisational abuse, contact the Care Quality Commission.

When a social care assessment can help

Sometimes people are not at immediate risk but may find it difficult to look after themselves or someone they care for and need some help with everyday tasks to make sure they stay safe. 

In this case, an adult social care or carers assessment is the next step. Find out how to get social care help.