Get married or form a civil partnership

Everything you need to get married or form a civil partnership in Essex. Includes booking a registrar, a venue and giving notice.

Community venues

There are a range of community venues where you can hold your ceremony.

Our venues

Essex Records Office provides a great venue for ceremonies in central Chelmsford

Other community venues

Braintree Town Hall

Brentwood Town Hall

Colchester Town Hall

Moot House Harlow

Runnymede Hall

Saffron Walden Town Hall

Uttlesford District Council

Waltham Abbey Town Hall

We are accepting new bookings for ceremonies of marriage and civil partnership formations up to two years in advance.

Plan your ceremony

There are certain legal things that have to happen on the day of your ceremony.

You must give your notice of marriage or civil partnership and book a registrar before completing your ceremony planner.

After you've booked your registrar and given notice, you can use our community venue ceremony planner (docx, 29.52kB) to make your special day go smoothly.

You need to fill this in and email it to ideally at least 10 weeks before your ceremony. If you miss this date please still send it in and we will check your choices as quickly as we can.


You should still contact your venue to understand how many they can accommodate and if there are any restrictions that apply.