Early years pupil premium

Find out about the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) funding that childcare providers can claim on behalf of your funded child

If you are getting funded childcare for your child, you might be eligible for additional funding to help your child’s development.

This funding is called Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) and is paid directly to childcare providers.

The amount you get depends on how many hours your child spends in a childcare setting. It will not affect any benefits you are getting.

How EYPP can help your child

Children develop quickly during their early years and a child's experiences between birth and the age of 5 can have a big impact on their later life.

EYPP can improve early learning experiences and the funding could be used on things like:

  • extra resources and equipment suited to your child’s needs
  • activity experiences
  • preparing for school
  • additional support if it benefits your child’s learning

Your childcare provider will work with you on how the funding could be used to help your child’s development.

Find out if your childcare provider can get EYPP

Your childcare provider might be entitled to EYPP if you’re receiving any of these benefits:

  • Income support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • income related employment support allowance (ESA)
  • Child tax credit (providing you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit (WTC) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • WTC run-on, paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for WTC
  • support under part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of the state pension credit
  • Universal Credit (currently under review)

You might also be able to get EYPP if your child has:

  • been in local authority care for at least one day
  • been adopted from care
  • left care through a special guardianship

How to apply

Speak to your childcare provider if you think your child might be eligible for EYPP.